Friday, June 05, 2009

Every year I have hopes that I can plant a few veggies and herbs to enjoy while cooking...I have visions of cooking in the kitchen and being able to just pop out the door to cut some fresh herbs. Since I usually have quite the brown thumb this usually doesn't happen. Well this year I have things growing...I think it has more to do with all the rain we've had then my talent as a gardener, but either way I'll take it. So I have gotten to use my sage, basil, oregano, mint and chives and I have tomato, cucumber, bell pepper and a watermelon (keep ending up in my cart at home depot from a little 4 year old's doing) plants growing with tiny veggies starting to grow. And then I, also, real love to bake even though they rarely get eaten around our house, and I have high hopes that I could be a good cake decorate since my dad has always made wonderful cakes, but it is not one of my specialties so I'll stick to cupcakes. Here's what I saw in the latest Martha Stewart Living magazine to give your cupcakes a different look (really I was out of the paper cups and was making these for our across the street neighbor for his birthday and remember seeing using parchment paper and they turned out pretty cute). Baking is a great activity to do with kids though so I do try (doesn't always happen) to bake with Parkes at least every other week since it teaches them so much about counting and math. Parkes is really in a math mood lately...he is always asking "mom what's 2 cross 3." Cross to him is a plus sign. He can do must small math like that himself...he's teachers this past year were wonderful and he loved them so much. He even had his one teacher Ms. Mary over for a playdate at the end of the year. He has now finished the first week since summer session started and he's in the Pre-K class (hard to believe). He was a little upset about leaving Ms. Mary, but didn't take long to love his new class where he has spent his whole days there in the writing/art center which is his favorite thing to do these days. Cash stayed in his same room for the summer and will move up in the fall...he loves to color now and always runs straight to the markers in my class when we get there in the morning. He keeps his teachers laughing with his personality now. I'm so glad they both enjoy school so much and I can be there to see it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah dad made you a ragady ann cake for you birsthday and all here ever made me was a cake with a "1" written on it.....im mad at him for that!
-hayley