Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pumpkin Carving

We carved our pumpkin last night so we could make some curry pumpkin soup. Parkes enjoyed helping get all the seeds out and very much enjoyed eating the roasted pumpkin seeds but would not try the soup. I absolutely love themed dinners and have all sorts of recipes printed out for all different occasions, so I'll leave you today with my Halloween Dinner for anyone that might want to try it.
Curry Pumpkin Soup
2 cloves garlic
1 med. onion
1 lg jalapeno
2 stalks celery
3 lg carrots
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 3/4 lbs pumpkin (peeled and seeded)
3 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 tsp curry (for Brandon I have to double that and then he still adds more)
1 tsp turmeric
pinch of cayenne
1 1/2 tsp salt (I don't use because we don't really use salt)
ground pepper
sour cream
Chop all of your veggies into small pieces. Heat olive oil in a lg pot. Add onions and garlic and let them saute for about 6 mins. then add jalapeno, celery and carrots and saute 5 more mins. Add pumpkin, chicken stock, bay leaf, curry, turmeric, cayenne, and s&p and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover for about 20 mins or until veggies are tender. Then the recipe calls for putting it into a food processor where I cheat and use an emersion blender instead to make the soup smooth. then serve with sour cream piped out of a zip lock bag with a corner clipped off to make a spider web over the soup.
Hairball Salad
Avocado
Mix spring greens
Dressing of choice
Mash avocado and mix in the greens. Then form into balls and serve with favorite dressing.

No comments: